Varicose veins are enlarged veins that can be flesh colored, dark purple or blue. They often look like cords and appear twisted and bulging. They are swollen and raised above the surface of the skin. Varicose veins are commonly found on the backs of the calves or on the inside of the leg.
Spider veins are similar to varicose veins, but they are smaller. They are often red or blue and are closer to the surface of the skin than varicose veins. They can look like tree branches or spider webs with their short jagged lines. Spider veins can be found on the legs and face. They can cover either a very small or very large area of skin.
Symptoms Varicose Veins:
- Aching, heavy legs (often worse at night and after exercise)
- Ankle swelling
- A brownish-blue shiny skin discoloration around the veins
- Skin over the vein may become dry, itchy and thin, leading to eczema (venous eczema)
- The skin may darken (stasis dermatitis), because of the waste products building up in the legs
- Minor injuries to the area may bleed more than normal and/or take a long time to heal
- Rarely, there is a large amount of bleeding from a ruptured vein
- In some people the skin above the ankle may shrink because the fat underneath the skin becomes hard.
- Restless Leg Syndrome.
- They often itch, and scratching them can cause ulcers.
- Besides cosmetic problems, varicose veins are often painful, especially when standing or walking.
Varicose vein treatment can improve the appearance of your legs, and address any further incompetent veins before they become a problem.SydneyWest Aesthetics has treatments available that can help you.